Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Summer is coming to a close....

So the first round of castings have come out of the kiln today....well more like I propped the door open and peeked. The temp. is around 39 degrees Celsius still (100 ish F) so I am slightly skittish about throwing the doors open as the core temps. are still pretty high. These pieces have been annealing for the better part of the summer so it will be interesting to see how everything has come out...

I have also had a major break through! After several devastating losses of some rather large molds (they burst open and flooded the kilns here at ANU!) I have reevaluated the mold making materials as well as sought out other unconventional methods of creating the things I am interested in making. I have been layering sheet glass and refractor materials. using less materials and significantly cutting the anneal time! Images to come soon.....






No comments:

Post a Comment